Strawberry Surprise cupcakes. What’s the surprise, you ask? I baked a fresh strawberry inside!
I actually only baked half of them with a strawberry because I wasn’t sure how it would work, so the rest were just vanilla buttermilk cupcakes with strawberry buttercream. It was a success though; the strawberry cooked to a soft, yummy surprise, and didn’t seem to affect the way the cupcake baked. The cupcakes themselves weren’t mind-blowing; they tasted pretty standard vanilla-ish, and were light and fluffy like a box mix would be. They were a tad dry for my taste…See, I like my cake super moist and dense…I should have added a package of vanilla pudding – oh well! The buttercream was amazing. You could really taste that it was made with fresh strawberries, as opposed to using jam or jelly.
Vanilla Buttermilk Cupcakes: (Adapted from iamjulieb.com)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt substitute, i used no salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ~24 strawberries with the tops cut off
- Preheat oven to 350 and line your muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, oil and vanilla extract.
- In a third , larger mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy (~3 mins).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture alternating with the milk mixture in batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat just until blended.
- Fill cupcake wells two-thirds full. If you want to bake strawberries in them, fill the well about 1/3 full, place a small strawberry inside, and then continue filling them to 2/3 full.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes and cool on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before icing.
Notes: Do not overfill, a couple of mine flattened out over the top because they were too full, but the rest domed very nicely!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-5 Tbsp strawberry puree
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups powdered sugar
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla and 3 Tbsp strawberry puree. Taste for flavor, and add more as necessary; I used ~4 1/2 Tbsp total. Depending on the amount of puree you use, you may need to add powdered sugar to maintain the right consistency.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes